Monday, May 14, 2012

Building a raised garden bed

I believe that there is a little farmer in all of us. I love to grow my own food. It's  near the top of my list of Living Better. Not only do you get the satisfaction of  doing it your self, but you are also getting exercise, fresh air, and saving money. Also, you control the chemicals in your soil and the way you want to control pests NOT Monsanto!  ( I am saving my disdain for Monsanto for another day!)

When I was younger and had a family, I had a huge garden.  I didn't mind the bending and squatting  to plant and pull weeds. As I got older, and the kids left,  I realized I didn't need such a big garden so I decided to scale it down and grow my food in a raised bed. What a treat!!


My Raised Garden Bed (click to enlarge)

I discovered that there are many advantages to a raised garden bed. One of most important advantages is that it greatly reduces soil compaction. Plant roots need air. Also, plants in a raised tend to produce more and grow faster because the raised bed warms up faster in the spring. I built my raised bed out of some flagstone I got from a neighbor who had it left over from building a fireplace.
Wood is probably the material of choice. I think this one, from Sunset Magazine, is great..simple and relativily inexpensive. 

How To Build a Raised Garden Bed
So, depending on where you live, get growing!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment